Advise to residents who see or are subjected to anti-social behaviour

Sadly there have been some recent instances of anti-social behaviour on Derwenthorpe. Anti-social behaviour is any behaviour that leaves you feeling alarmed, harassed or distressed.  Examples of this include, but are not limited to ~
  • Nuisance, rowdy or inconsiderate neighbours
  • Vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • Street drinking
  • Environmental damage including littering, dumping of rubbish, and abandonment of cars
  • Prostitution related activity
  • Begging and vagrancy
  • Fireworks misuse
  • Inconsiderate or inappropriate use of vehicles
As you can see, this covers a wide range of unacceptable activities that could affect us as individuals, our community or our environment. If you want further advice on what anti-social behaviour is, you can call the police on 101.

In order to nip this problem in the bud before it gets out of hand, here is some advice on what you can do if you see or experience anti-social behaviour.

Call the police on 101

If you are experiencing problems with anti-social behaviour, or have concerns about it, call the police on the non-emergency number 101. The response may not be what you would wish, in that no police are able to attend, or it takes a long time for the call to be answered. However the advice from the police is that you should always phone them, so that the incident is logged. The more reports they receive, the more resources they will be able to allocate, attend more often and more quickly, and also identify the peak times when problems occur. The police have been quite clear in their reassurance that they will not think you are wasting their time by calling in to report incidents of anti-social behaviour on 101. So please, persevere!

Call the police on 999

In an emergency, if violence is being used or threatened and someone is in immediate danger, or if there is a risk of serious damage to property, then call the police on 999.  (Other instances when you should call 999 are when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, or there is a traffic collision involving injury or danger to other road users.)

Keep a diary

The police also recommend keeping a diary of any anti-social behaviour you see (including date, time, what and where it happened; number/age/brief description of the person/s involved in it etc). You can send it to they suggest on a weekly or fortnightly basis. Gathering this kind of information will help the police, and so help us. 

Take a photograph

If you can (perhaps if you have your mobile phone handy), take a photograph. Mention that you have done so when you report the incident to the police, who will tell you how to send it to them. But please, don’t do this if you think it might aggravate the situation, or if you think it will put you in any danger. There is no law stating that you cannot take photographs in public (unless it is for criminal or terrorist purposes). This includes taking photos that include other people's children or taking photos of children directly. An offence will, however, have been committed if the photographs taken are indecent. If you want further information about this, you can find it here.


You should also report any incidents to JRHT. Contact Joanne Lofthouse (Derwenthorpe manager) by email at;  or phone her on 07973 979192 (but only during working hours).  You can also contact JRHT Customer Care by email at; or phone them on 0800 5870211 or 01904 735000 (but again, only during working hours). JRHT have information on their website about anti-social behaviour, which you can read here.

Tell City of York Council

If you are experiencing noisy anti-social behaviour (eg from dogs, DIY, music, fireworks), you should also report it to City of York Council. You can contact them here by using the online reporting forms on their website; or phone them on 01904 551555; or email